INSTITUTE OF PHILOSOPHY AND POLITICAL THEORY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Centre for information technology and development (CITAD)
Over the years the teaching of philosophical thought, especially in the social sciences and political theory has declined. This has affected the quality of critical thinking of current graduates. Yet, without critical thinking, we get graduates of university who are no more different from students of craft school who narrowly acquired craft skills without understanding the underlying logics of either the skills or the trade they will practice.
Ibrahim Muazzam of the Department of Political Science, Bayero University, Kano has extensive experience teaching political theory, political philosophy, third world theories and other related topics that have continued to influence the critical thinking of many people who have passed through Bayero University, Kano. Many of these courses have either been phased out or that the explosion in student population has made it impossible to maintain the ambience of the past that allowed for debates and more rigorous treatment of many important topics that impact on the critical thinking faculty of students.
The resourcefulness, versatility, depth of knowledge, roundedness and intellectual robustness of Ibrahim Muazzam is reflected in the glowing nostalgia with which many of his former students and associates reflect on what they took from him. It is this that we would like to share with younger generations of students and graduates by instituting an annual institute for philosophical thoughts for young people that will be grounded these aspects of intellectual grooming by getting Ibrahim Muazzam principally, but also many other critical thinkers to facilitate the sessions of institute.
The goal is to recognize, acknowledge and honor the contributions of Ibrahim Muazzam in influencing and shaping the critical thinking of many generations of students who passed through Bayero University Kano
- Provide a platform for young intellectuals to be exposed to certain topics and debates that they will otherwise not get in their formal university curricula.
- Provide alternative avenue for young people to be groomed in critical thinking.
- Serve as an inspiration for other scholars by honoring and acknowledging the depth of the scholarship of Ibrahim Muazzam.
- Complement the youth development programmes of CITAD
The institute will initially be for a period of three days and non-residential. However this will gradually become a residential one-week institute.
The institute will be devoted to three key engagements namely
- A reading of the classical political thought, theory and philosophy through lectures.
- Engagement with current topics of interest such as imperialism in the context of globalization
- Debates to shape the intellectual engagement of the participants
- Final year undergraduate in universities.
- First year master students in universities
Interested individuals who wish to participate are required to apply and will be selected on a basis of clearly defined criteria.
How to Apply:
Click this link below to fill the online application form
Contacts: Dr. Aminu Aliyu 09099993738
Eng. Kamaluddeen Umar 08036509534